Tuesday, March 10, 2009

where we are headed

Summer is here!

During my three years in college, all I worry about as this season approaches are what style and color of swimwear and summer paraphernalia I should buy (I know! I'm maarte like that! HIHI) and where me and my family will go for our vacation. Now, that's not even included in my toplist of worries.

Aside from meeting deadlines for our majors, I sort of wonder what career/field I really want to pursue, where I should apply for a job, what I should place in my resume', and all other questions that come to mind regarding summer internship. Yes, this summer, we shall be taking OC 180 (Practicum!!!). It requires you to complete a 200-hour of supervised internship in any company of your choice.

I already sent online applications to various companies, mostly specializing in Public Relations, Corporate Communication, Marketing, and Advertising. What's good about OrCom is that it does not limit you to a specific field. However, it's a bit difficult trying to choose which particular field you like, especially when you take classes/subjects that present this particular field in a very interesting and enjoyable manner (kc nmn eh! HAHA).

There's a variety of career paths for OrCom students. There's Corporate Communication, Marketing, Advertising, Public Relations, Human Resources, and other media-related professions. It's also a pre-law (one of the reasons why I love OrCom!). I want to pursue a career in law and I love communications at the same time (Why choose when you can have both? ryt?)

One OrCom alumni who gave a talk about her career in Singapore told us how OrCom really helped her climb the corporate ladder and adjust to the new environment and culture in that country. She said that OrCom people are masters of all trades because they don't specialize in a specific field. Rather, they are trained to adapt well and excel in whatever field they decided to pursue.

A good decision is necessary. As for me, I haven't really figured out yet which path I'd like to take (boo!) but I know that my internship experience will help me decide. I'm nervous but I'm also excited (maybe even more excited than shopping for a swimsuit. HIHI) to be a part of the corporate world this summer, at least for 2 months.

Hmmm...the beach and the swimwear can wait :)) see yah!

No comments:

Post a Comment